National Agriculture Day 2021
“Agriculture is our wisest pursuit, because it will in the end contribute most to real wealth, good morals, and happiness.”
~ Thomas Jefferson
Today is National Agriculture Day! I’ve got a few more facts to share with you continuing on from yesterday. Here goes:
5. As of Jan. 1, 2020, there were 94.4 million head of cattle in the U.S. herd. That’s more than the populations of California, Texas, Florida and Mississippi combined.
6. 91% of beef farms and ranches are family-owned or individually operated.
7. The average farm size in 2017 was 441 acres.
8. The average herd size in 2017 was 43.5.
9. Pasture and rangeland represent 41% of land usage in the U.S.
10. Cattle and calves made up nearly 40% of cash receipts for animals and animal products in 2018.
Interesting, right?! I’m so grateful for ranchers and farmers...livestock and crops. How about you?